The Special Victims Unit was formed to improve the investigation and prosecution of sex crimes and child abuse cases by bringing together specially trained detectives and assistant prosecutors. SVU handles a variety of subject matters, but incorporates a victim-centric approach throughout.
- all sexual assault crimes, regardless of the victim’s age
- child molestation and exploitation of children under 13
- serious physical abuse of children
- any abduction or missing child
- child pornography
- human trafficking cases involving adults and/or children